Saturday 17 May 2014

Quilted fabric bins with cute appliques


Two years ago I still hadn't heard of freehand machine stitching.
Then I came across Poppy Treffry's book "Free and Easy Stitch style" on Amazon, liked the cover pictures and bought it. And I wasn't disappointed. I liked her style of uneven stitching and rough edges. They made things look even cuter.


Around that time I had my baby daughter. I needed a kind of storage bin/box where to keep some nappies, nappy bags, nappy cream and moisturiser handy and organised in our living room where we mostly spent the day. I got fed up of always looking for any of them when changing my baby's nappy . And although spare time was a luxury for me I decided to make myself a fabric storage bin. My baby girl had colics and would sleep mostly in my arms during the day. I remember how I drew and cut the applique motifs while I was cuddling my sleeping girl. I was trying to figure out if there was a way I could sew on the sewing machine while holding her. I even tried a sling so I could have my hands free. Unfortunately she didn't like being in a sling so I just had to steal some time here and there to complete my project.
First I made the ''apple, pear and cherry'' fabric bin. I used linen fabric, polka dot fabrics and cotton wadding.






I liked the result and another storage bin followed, this time the theme was cupcakes.




And then baby feet storage bin..



I was planning to do a fabric bin with pink baby feet applique as well, but I ran out of linen fabric. For some time it was out of stock. When it finally came in stock and I ordered it turned out slightly different linen fabric. A bit disappointing for me..
Now I have plans to do a big fabric bin for the kids' dirty laundry but I still haven't decided on the applique theme. I have two ideas on my mind. The first one would feature houses, cars, trees and the second one - beach huts and boats. Hopefully one of them gets accomplished soon.
Thanks for reading!














No comments: