Saturday 24 May 2014

Golden Dress and Improvisional Pleating contest



 I have mentioned before that I have been making a dress for my friend's four year old daughter. I wanted to make something special, which she could eventually wear on her birthday party. She is the kind of girl who loves wearing princess dresses and appreciate things like tiaras and other accessories, so I wanted her to feel like a little princess.


Luckily she is the same age as my son, which made things easier when I was drafting the dress.
I had chosen a simple shape and was wondering what detail I could add to it to look more impressive. That was when I saw The Improvisational Pleats Tutorial by An from Straight Grain and quite liked the ideas. They were all so easy to make and at the same time produced such a nice look. That was what I wanted for the dress.


For this project I used golden coloured fabric, which I suspected was polyester satin. I got that fabric from a fabric shop in Bulgaria an year ago.


It wasn't easy to sew with this fabric as it was very slippery and fraying. And because the dress would go as a present to someone else I had to be even more careful while sewing it.


The dress participates in Improvisational Pleating Contest organised by An from Straight Grain and Birch Fabrics and if you like it you could vote for it here. The contest ends on May, 26 10pm.
Thank you in advance for your vote! The winner would receive three yards of Flight Voile Fabrics from Birch which are really gorgeous and I would be more than happy to sew something with them. That's why I need your help.

I must confess that although it's a challenge to sew an occasion dress, it somehow feels unjustified to spend so much time making something which could possibly ends up being worn only once or twice. I find it more satisfying sewing practical and useful clothes that would be worn over and over again.

Anyway, expect more fotos of the little birthday princess wearing the dress. Fingers crossed that it would fit her well! I am also planning a hair accessory for it, so come back and check out these days.
Thank you for reading!







2 comments:

Krista said...

This is a very stylish dress! I love your sewing projects, I really have to put your blog to my bloglist :)

Elle said...

Thank you, Krista for your lovely comment!
Your blog looks interesting as well, although I understand only the english part of it :)
The swimsuits have turned out really well!